Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Sunflower for She Who Waits

I used to think that roses were my favorite flower. My mini lawn paradise might bring you to that conclusion - I have planted nearly 2 dozen rose bushes in my front yard, with about 14 different cultivars. I do so adore the color and the smell of these princesses of the garden.

 (Torin 2009)

But this year, I've noticed an odd habit in my seed purchases. As a serious lover of the green, I have a large order of veggie and herb seeds coming my way in the next few days. Among the various usual and unusual suspects, I have four different cultivars of sunflowers. Add to them the half dozen packets I've picked up here and there during the winter blahs, and I'd say I have a serious sunflower addiction.


While roses are usually perennials, they require an obscene amount of care and attention. Sunflowers, though annuals, are ridiculously easy to take care of. Stick the seed in the ground, watch it grow. Stake it if necessary. Toss in a few climbers like morning glories or nasturtium, and prepare to be stunned by nature's petaled magnificence. Simple garden magic.


At any rate, I was thinking about where to plant what will end up being hundreds of sunflower seeds, and about the Sunflower River Blues Festival in Mississippi I'm thinking of attending in August, I strung myself a simple but powerful necklace, with lots of black glass and yellow crystal. The pendant is by noneoftheabove on Etsy. I also pulled some marigold Swarovski rhondelles out of my stash for matching earrings.

I call the set "A Sunflower for She Who Waits".

Yep, that's me.

Sunflower dreaming while seed packets with marvelous tiny magic within wing their merry way to me... :D

6 comments:

  1. That necklace is so sunny. Perfect for gray cold winter days waiting for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! My Paper-White bulbs have flowers! It's so much more cheery in here now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Summer! Great Necklace... I love the bright bold focal with simple, complimentary beads!

    I stumbled onto your blog via Lori Anderson's blog and really look forward to seeing more of your work!

    Have a terrific Sunday!

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kristie!

    Thanks Dawn! I'll scope out your social media when I get back from dropping off my nephew:) Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete